DePaul University is the largest Catholic University in the United States. It was founded in 1898 by the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian order). Vincentians are devoted to the teachings of St. Vincent De Paul, which influence the university’s mission and philosophy today.
DePaul Special Collections and Archives (SPCA) is located in the John T. Richardson Library. SPCA aims to collect, preserve, and share primary source materials to support teaching, learning, and research. SPCA’s collections contain more than 12,000 books and hundreds of maps with particular collection strengths in the book arts, 18th and 19th century literature, Irish Studies, the Napoleonic Era, travel and exploration, and materials relating to the history and legacy of DePaul’s namesake, St. Vincent De Paul. SPCA’s archival collections are concentrated in three complementary areas: DePaul University Archives; local and community history collections; and the DeAndreis-Rosati Memorial Archives (the archives of the Western Province of the Congregation of the Mission). Archival collection strengths include the areas of social justice, the Catholic Left, and women’s and community advocacy organizations.